Temporary Food Services

A temporary food service permit is required when food is served to the public during an event. See the Temporary Food Service Page to learn how to obtain a permit and about the requirements to serve food during an event.

To assist you with preparing for your event, use the Healthy Events fact sheet and the Temporary Food Event Preparation Checklist.

To apply for any type of temporary food permit, Click Here to log in or register 


Exceptions that do not require a permit from the Health Department:

  • Farmers selling whole fruits or vegetables they have grown. Farmers selling mushrooms must provide the Health Department information on the variety & source of the mushrooms in advance.
  • Cottage Food Operators

In all of thesecases, if you provide food or beverage for tasting, then you must have a temporary food service permit.


Temporary Market Vendor Permit

  • Alternative to getting repeated temporary food permits for Farmers' Markets and French Markets.
  • Vendors who offer food or beverages to the public at open-air markets may get a "Temporary Food Service Market Vendor Permit" from the DuPage County Health Department.
  • A Market Vendor Permit is valid for entire market season from April to November, one operating day per week, at the same location.
  • Farmers Market Packet with Market Vendor Temporary Permit Application and fee schedule

Vendors must apply and pay for a Market Vendor Permit at least three days prior to operating at any event. Failure to do so will result in a 25% late fee. Permit applications can be obtained at any of our Public Health Centers.  

All vendors are required to consult by phone or in person with the Health Department Market Sanitarians prior to participating in the markets.  Please contact the Market Sanitarians at least 10 days prior to the start of the earliest market you are participating in to assure completion.

Please contact the appropriate public health center:

Central - Wheaton Public Health Center

  • Wheaton Markets
  • Aurora Markets
  • Winfield Markets
  • Naperville Markets
  • West Chicago Markets

East - Lombard Public Health Center

  • Villa Park Markets
  • Lombard Markets
  • Yorktown Mall Markets
  • Elmhurst Markets
  • Roselle Markets
  • Bensenville Markets

Southeast - Westmont Public Health Center

  • Lisle Markets
  • Downers Grove Markets
  • Hinsdale Markets
  • Glen Ellyn Markets
  • Darien Markets
  • Westmont Markets


In DuPage County,  there are three different ways to provide food service to the public.  These three ways include a temporary food service permit, annual food service permit or mobile vending permit.  Each of these has a specific set of requirements and intended use.  A temporary food service permit is for an event where food is served to the public on a temporary basis.  This permit is valid for up to 14 dates at the same location and only two permits can be issued in one year for up to 28 dates.  If you plan to operate for more than 28 dates at the same location, you will want to consider obtaining an annual food service permit. Annual food service permits operate within a building as a food service establishment or retail food store without date restrictions. A mobile vending permit refers to food being sold from a movable truck, trailer or push cart at various locations.  Food provided by mobile venders comes from a business that is licensed and inspected by a health authority. For additional information about any of the permits listed above please, view the section located within this website.  If you have any questions or need additional help, please call 630-682-7400 and ask to speak to Environmental Health Staff.