Industry Home Page

Types of Food Permits

In DuPage County, there are three different ways to provide food service to the public, including a temporary food service permit, an annual food service permit or mobile vending permit. Each of these has a specific set of requirements and intended use. A temporary food service permit is for an event where food is served to the public on a temporary basis. This permit is valid for up to 14 dates at the same location and only 2 permits can be issued in one year for up to 28 dates. If you plan to operate for more than 28 dates at the same location, you will want to consider obtaining an annual food service permit. Annual food service permits operate within a building as a food service establishment or retail food store without date restrictions. A mobile vending permit refers to food being sold from a movable truck, trailer or push cart at various locations. Food provided by mobile vendors comes from a business that is licensed and inspected by a health authority. For additional information about any of the permits listed above please, view the section located within this website or click on the hyperlink below. If you have any questions or need additional help, please call 630-682-7400 and ask to speak to Environmental Health Staff.

Food Facility Construction

When planning to build a food facility, please follow our 6-step guide Opening a Food Service in DuPage County to help you through the process.

Food Service Design and Construction Manual

Mobile Vending

Mobile vending operations refer to a readily movable truck, trailer, or push cart food service. For information regarding obtaining a permit for these types of operations, see the Mobile Vending Trucks or Mobile Food Carts pages.

Temporary Food Services

A temporary food service permit is required when food is served to the public during an event. See the Temporary Food Service page to learn how to obtain a permit and about the requirements to serve food during an event.

To assist you with preparing for your event, use the Temporary Food Event Preparation Checklist.


Most types of Illinois retail food establishments are required to have at least one certified manager.

Effective July 1, 2014, FOOD HANDLERS also are required to obtain food handler training and certification.

  • For all food handlers, except certified managers;
  • See the website for each training provider.
  • Food Service Sanitation Manager Certification (FSSMC) Training



Time/temperature log forms are used by the industry to monitor food and refrigeration temperatures. You can print out log forms and learn about food cooling on The Problem With Cooling Food page.

Self-inspection is a tool that can help operators manage their facility. Use the Inspection Checklist to make a self-inspection form customized for your facility.

The Food Code is the source for all the rules that a food service is required to comply with. It is also a good resource for food safety education. View it online.

We have numerous Fact Sheets covering many food safety topics. Take a moment to review them.

How do you know your food probe thermometer is accurate? Review the Using a Thermometer Page to see how to check and calibrate a thermometer.