August 4, 2022 - August 5, 2022
Central Public Health Center
111 N County Farm Road
Wheaton, IL 60187
$140.00 for 2-day class. Payment is due 48 hours before the class date.
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
Thursday, August 4, 2022
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) is a two-day interactive workshop in suicide first aid. ASIST teaches participants to recognize when someone may have thoughts of suicide, and work with them to create a plan that will support their immediate safety. Although ASIST is widely used by healthcare providers, participants don't need any formal training to attend the workshop; Anyone 16 or older can learn and use the ASIST model. ASIST receives regular updates to reflect improvements in knowledge and practice.
Over the course of this two-day workshop, participants will learn to:
- Understand ways that personal and societal attitudes affect views on suicide and interventions.
- Provide guidance and suicide first aid to a person at risk in ways that meet their individual safety needs.
- Identify the key elements of an effective suicide safety plan, and the actions required to implement it.
- Appreciate the value of improving and integrating suicide prevention resources in the community at large.
- Recognize other important aspects of suicide prevention, including life-promotion and self-care.
There are 13.0 CEUs available for licensed social workers, counselors and nurses.
Registration Deadline: August 1!