COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective. Millions of people in the United States have received COVID-19 vaccines, and these vaccines have undergone the most intensive safety monitoring in U.S. history. This monitoring includes using both established and new safety monitoring systems to make sure that COVID-19 vaccines are safe.
Safety of COVID-19 Vaccines
Vaccine safety is a vital part of the nation’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic
- The FDA authorize COVID-19 vaccines after they pass three phases of clinical trials
- The Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines have been shown to be safe and highly effective at preventing COVID-19.
Benefits of Getting COVID-19 Vaccine
COVID-19 vaccination will help protect you from getting COVID-19. Two doses are needed.
- Data demonstrate that the known and potential benefits of these vaccines outweigh the known and potential harms of becoming infected with the coronavirus disease
- Depending on the specific vaccine you get, a second shot 3-4 weeks after your first shot is needed to get the most protection the vaccine has to offer against this serious disease. Learn more about the benefits of getting vaccinated.
COVID-19 vaccination is a safer way to build protection
- COVID-19 can have serious, life-threatening complications, and there is no way to know how COVID-19 will affect you. And if you get sick, you could spread the disease to friends, family, and others around you.
- COVID-19 vaccination will help protect you by building immunity without the risk of severe illness
What to Expect Before, During and After COVID-19 Vaccination
- Learn about the different types of COVID-19 vaccines and how they work
- See if COVID-19 vaccination is recommended for you
- Choose to get vaccinated when it is offered
- Read the fact sheet that tells you about the specific COVID-19 vaccine you receive. It will help you understand the risks and benefits of receiving that vaccine
- Receive a vaccination record card that includes: the COVID-19 vaccine you received, the date you received it, and where you received it.]
- Enroll in v-safe. V-safe is a free, smartphone-based tool that uses text messaging and web surveys to provide personalized health check-ins after you receive a COVID-10 vaccination
- V-safe will remind you if you need a 2nd shot
- The combination of getting vaccinated and following CDC recommendations to protect yourself and others offers the best protection from COVID-19:
- Cover your nose and mouth with a mask.
- Stay at least 6 feet from people who don’t live with you.
- Avoid crowds and poorly ventilated indoor spaces.
V-safe After Vaccination Health Checker:
Last Updated: 2/8/21