- Department Overview
- History of the Health Department - Part 2
The DuPage County Health Department
Highlights from the history of the Health Department
1965 – The estimated population of DuPage County is 385,000.
In 1965, a Mental Health Clinic opened at the Health Department at 222 Willow Street, Wheaton.
1968, the DuPage County Health Department’s operating budget exceeds $1 million for the first time. Additionally,
- Air pollution investigation added to list of sanitarian duties;
- The Health Department offers 24-hour emergency psychiatric services (later known as Access and Crisis); and
- Air pollution investigation is added to list of EHS sanitarian duties
In 1971, construction begins on a new home for the Health Department at 111 N County Farm Rd., Wheaton.
Also in 1971, the Health Department opened a venereal disease clinic, the first in DuPage County.
1973 - The DuPage County Health Department moved to its own building at 111 N County Farm Road, Wheaton.
1975 – The estimated population of DuPage County is 586,000.
August 13, 1975 – In a Resolution published in its Annual Report, the DuPage County Board of Health recognized John P. Case, who had served on the Board since its inception in 1945. Mr. Case served as Board of Health President from 1951 until his death in July 1975.
In 1976, decentralized services are added to three satellite offices:
North Public Health Center (NPHC)
1111 W Lake Street
Addison, IL 60101
East Public Health Center (EPHC)
1111 E Jackson Street
Lombard, IL 60148
Southeast Public Health Center (SEPHC)
422 N Cass Avenue
Westmont, IL 60559
1985 – The estimated population of DuPage County is 705,100.
March 28, 1985 – The start of the largest foodborne illness outbreak in the history of the United States, when two suspected cases of salmonella are reported in DuPage County. On March 31, health officials determine the suspect product was a single brand of milk widely sold in the area. By November 2,798 cases of salmonella are reported in DuPage County and over 9,000 cases were reported in Illinois.
In 1986, the DuPage County Board of Health, the Health Department’s governing body, grew to 11 members with the addition of three new members. The Tuberculosis Clinic was merged with the Health Department. The Transitional Services Center (TSC) is remodeled.
In 1986, the Health Department takes over the county’s tuberculosis (TB) program.
1987, the Prenatal Clinic was established. AIDS Program started.
1988, the expansion program of NPHC, EPHC, and SEPHC is completed. The Crisis Intervention Unit, 440 S Finley Road, Lombard, is remodeled.
In 1989, DuPage County experiences an outbreak of 321 measles cases.
August 28, 1990 – Severe weather causes an outbreak of 12 tornadoes in the U.S. and Canada. At approximately 3:30 p.m., a violent F-5 tornado occurred in Plainfield, IL. In the aftermath, the Will County Health Department requested assistance and the DuPage County Health Department’s Disaster Team responded immediately to provide counseling. The overall experience helped shape disaster planning in DuPage County, as well as the need for mental health counseling in emergency plans.
1990, the Mental Health Division opens the Women’s Substance Abuse Program.
In 1991, expansion of Central Public Health Center in Wheaton begins.
1993, the expansion of the Central Public Health Center is completed, providing an additional 26,107 square feet of space to the building..