How to Open a Child Care Center
The following is a list of steps that will aid you and your organization in opening a child care center in DuPage County.
Step One: The Initial Inquiry
Contact Environmental Health (EH) Services for information regarding standards, plan review guidelines and any questions regarding your project. If serving food, a food permit is required. A copy of our food construction guide and plan review application is available upon request.
Step Two: Submit Plans
One set of building plans are to be submitted, including the child care facility plan review guide. If serving food, a food service plan review form and food service plan review fee payable to DuPage County Health Department will also be required.
Step Three: The Review Process
The area EH Specialist reviews the plans.
Step Four: Approval Process
Plans may need additional information or changes prior to approval. In addition to personal consultations, correspondence indicating the status of a proposed plan for a child care center will be sent to the applicant.
Step Five: Initiate On-Site Construction
Upon receipt of all necessary information and approval of plans, notification is sent to the applicant to begin construction. The approval letter details a series of inspections that are required prior to your opening day.
Step Six: Inspection
Listed below are inspections that will need to be scheduled with the area EH Specialist.
- Plumbing Rough-In
- Operations Opening
Child Care Center Opening Checklist
- Contact the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) for licensing information
- Contact your local building and zoning department for their requirements
- Contact your area EH Specialist at the local public health center
- Submit complete building plans and plan review forms
- Submit plan review fee, if serving food and enroll in a Certified Food Protection Manager course to obtain manager certification