Food Permit Types

Multi-Location Temporary Food Permit

  • Allows a Temporary Food Service vendor to operate at multiple sites and dates with one permit.


Exceptions that do not require a permit from the Health Department:

  • Farmers selling whole fruits or vegetables they have grown; farmers selling mushrooms must provide information to the Health Department on the variety and source of the mushrooms in advance.
  • Cottage Food Operators.

With these listed exceptions, if you provide food or beverage for tasting or sampling, then you still must obtain a temporary food service permit.

Mobile Vending

Mobile Vending operations refer to a readily movable truck, trailer, or push cart food service.

  • Active permit holders will be mailed the renewal application and invoice.  If you have not received your renewal in the mail, contact us at [email protected]
  • If you previously had a mobile vending permit from this department and wish to renew your permit, contact us at [email protected] to obtain the application package.  Once your application is approved, you will be sent an invoice.  After payment is received, you will receive your permit via mail or on-site from the EH Specialist. 
  • For vendors with new construction or extensive menu food prep, contact Plan Review for instructions at 630-221-7045.


In DuPage County, there are three different ways to provide food service to the public, including a temporary food service permit, an annual food service permit or mobile vending permit. Each of these has a specific set of requirements and intended use.

  • A temporary food service permit is for an event and food will be served to the public on a temporary basis. This permit is valid for up to 14 dates at the same location, and only two permits can be issued in one year for up to 28 dates. If you plan to operate for more than 28 dates at the same location, you will want to consider obtaining an annual food service permit.
  • An annual food service permit is for operating within a building as a food service establishment or retail food store without date restrictions.
  • A mobile vending permit refers to food being sold from a movable truck, trailer or push cart at various locations. Food provided by mobile vendors comes from a business that is licensed and inspected by a health authority.

For additional information about any of the permits listed above, or if you have any questions or need additional help, please call 630-682-7400.