Nationally, regionally and even locally there has been growing concern about what we all do with the medicines that are left over in our cabinets. We take medication for so many reasons - for minor injuries, the occasional headache, back or muscle pain, to help relieve cold symptoms, for our high blood pressure or cholesterol. Over-the-counter medication, prescriptions, ointments and liquids....we often have medications that may be expired or no longer needed.
Reduce the amount of unused and expired medications in our households and dispose of them in a way that is the safest for our environment. The medications will be incinerated in collaboration with the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency using state-of-the-art technology.
The medications will not be reused in any way.
25 Tons Collected and More Being Added
More than 25 tons of medications have already been collected.
Click here to print a copy of the flyer: RxBOX Disposing Meds Safely
- Bring household medication including over-the-counter, prescription medications, ointments and liquid medications that are expired or no longer wanted.
- Also drop off asthma inhalers.
- You can bring medications as they are in their original containers or, for spill-free disposal, place the pills or liquid medication bottles in zipper top plastic bag.
- Cross off any personal information on the label or remove them to reduce concerns about personal identification information.
- As an alternative, you may empty pills directly into a zipper top plastic bag to further protect your personal information and dispose or recycle the empty pill bottle at home.
- Then deposit your medications in the collection container marked "RxBox" in the law enforcement facility locations listed below.
Items NOT Accepted:
- Sharps or needles, especially epinephrine pens.
- Radioactive medicines
- Any other medical waste
- Household chemical waste; these items need to be disposed of using other methods
For more information on how to dispose of sharps at home safely and easily click here to view or print a copy of the flyer: Sharps Disposal at Home
Participating RxBOX Locations:
- Addison Police Department, 3 Friendship Plaza, Addison, IL 60101
- Bensenville Police Department, 345 E Green Street, Bensenville, IL 60106
- Bloomingdale Police Department, 201 S. Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108
- Burr Ridge Village Hall, 7700 S. County Line Rd, Burr Ridge, IL 60527
- Carol Stream Police Department, 500 N. Gary Avenue, Carol Stream, IL 60188
- Clarendon Hills Police Department, 448 Park Avenue, Clarendon Hills, IL 60514
- DuPage County Sheriff, 501 N. County Farm Road, Wheaton, IL 60187
- Elmhurst Police Department, 125 E. 1st Street, Elmhurst, IL 60126
- Glendale Heights Police Department, 300 Civic Plaza, Glendale Heights, IL 60139
- Glen Ellyn Police Department, 535 Duane Street, Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
- Hanover Park Police Department, 2011 W. Lake Street, Hanover Park, IL 60133
- Itasca Police Department, 540 W. Irving Park Road, Itasca, IL 60143
- Lisle Police Department, 5040 Lincoln Avenue, Lisle, IL 60532
- Roselle Police Department, 103 S. Prospect Street, Roselle, IL 60172
- Schaumburg Police Department, 1000 W. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg, IL 60194
- Wood Dale Police Department, 404 N. Wood Dale Road, Wood Dale, IL 60191